Livestock Risk Protection (LRP)
What is Livestock Risk Protection (LRP)?
Livestock Risk Protection (LRP) insures against declining market prices (based on USDA’s Agricultural Market Service). LRP is similar to a put option, allowing producers to establish a floor price for protection while leaving upside price potential open. Unlike market contracts and options, LRP does not require a margin account or broker, it is closer to the actual ending value of the livestock and is based on cash market index prices rather than the futures market. This federally-sponsored program typically costs less than other options, is often perceived more favorably by lenders, and may provide additional benefits in terms of lending rates or loan availability.
LRP protects your investment should prices drop before your livestock gets to market while preserving your upside potential.
- Available for swine, fed cattle, feeder cattle and lamb
- Coverage level options ranging from 70-100% of the expected ending market value of animals
- Flexibility of number of head you can insure
- New for 2022! Coverage can be extended to unborn calves
Recent Policy Changes
USDA announced improvements to the Livestock Risk Protection (LRP) insurance program to make these policies more usable and affordable for livestock producers. Specifically, the changes made were to:
- Allow premiums to be paid at the end of the endorsement period, putting it in line with other crop insurance policies.
- Increase the premium subsidy for coverage levels above 80 percent. Those with an 80 percent or higher coverage level will get a 5-percentage point subsidy increase, making these higher coverage levels more affordable for producers.
Not all coverage or products may be available in all jurisdictions. The description of coverage in these pages is for informational purposes only. Actual coverage will vary based on the terms and conditions of the policy issued. The information described herein does not amend, or otherwise affect, the terms and conditions of any insurance policy issued by The Cornerstone Agency, Inc.
LRP - Fed Cattle.pdf
LRP - Feeder Cattle.pdf
LRP - Swine.pdf